Tuesday, August 2, 2011

De-cluttering is hard to do ..

What is that saying again? .. Ah yes, one man's trash is another man's gold. HUH. You know who says that? .. People who HOARD. Or just dislike THROWING things away. The Hubby comes from parents who are hoarders. Not the horrible ones you see on "Renovaid" .. but close enough. When I moved into their place after getting married, they must have cursed me to high heaven. I, of course, didn't see it that way. I thought I was saving them from themselves. Their apartment was like a dumpster and I took it upon myself to get the whole place cleared out.  That, and I refused to live in such filth and clutter. It was an absolute nightmare getting the place cleared up and getting them to agree to throw stuff away.

Anyway, the bottom line is I like to clear out clutter. And I was doing that today. With the girls' wardrobe .. managed to get 3 bags of clothes to be chucked out.

Before I could instruct my maid to bring the bags downstairs to be thrown away, the man comes home.

First thing he says .. "oh, you're throwing these stuff away?"

Man, I had to STRUGGLE not to roll my eyes cos I KNEW what was coming. And mentally kicking myself HARD for not throwing the stuff away earlier OR at least hiding the bags in the store room so my maid could clear it later.

Of course, after that ONE question, things went downhill from there .. LOL !

He basically said I was ruining our retirement plans with my spending *me rolling eyes here* and please could I not buy things so much only to throw them away *me rolling my eyes again* -- ok I was a bit annoyed by that .. lol.

HAIYA, of course I was throwing away things that needed to be thrown away for various reasons .. it's really hard to de-clutter with The Husband around. The man feels as if I'm throwing his money down the drain. He thinks things have to be kept FOREVER and used FOREVER once they're BOUGHT with HIS money.

lol :p

Anyway, how did our bickering end you ask? ... well, I basically said that I should've cleared the stuff before he came home .. (lol) ... and he called me stubborn .. cos of the whole spending thing. Then our argument ended.


I for one, think the man is infinitely lucky that I

a) don't hanker over and buy luxury designer handbags like Chanel ..
b) don't buy expensive jewellery too
c) don't really shop for clothes and shoes for myself every month .. it's more on a need-to basis. If I run out of clothes or my clothes start to look shabby THEN I go out and buy.
d) don't insist that we have super expensive furniture or that our apt look like it came straight out of a home interior design magazine. We have 5 kids .. that ship has sailed long ago, man.

Tomorrow is another day ... onto yet another closet !!! .. A cluttered home is a messy one (duh).

No comments: