Friday, July 29, 2011

Men are indeed from another planet ...

No, scratch that. They are from another solar system ...

For the last 10 years, I've been telling The Hubby that I was of the opinion that the door of the toilet in the utility room should be changed to a sliding door. Of course, the man was adamant that the door be NOT changed. He said the door was fine, nothing wrong with it, why should we throw out a perfectly working door and put in a sliding one or a bi-fold one? Plus he would have to PAY for a new one *eyes rolling here*

Of course, I had a good reason for suggesting that.

A damn good reason.

When the idiot people designed the apartments at my condo .. at least the ones with my apartment layout, the door from my kitchen to the utility room and the toilet door IN the utility room .. well, the doors are perpendicular to each other when closed .. that means simply that at any one time, only ONE door can stay open since the hinges are on the same side for both .. and most of the time, the kitchen door has to stay open .. especially since the kitchen would have no ventilation otherwise. So the toilet door has to remain closed 90% of the time. The toilet is tiny by the way. Just the toilet bowl unit and a small sink. Of course, it has a light installed in the ceiling but it's irritating that the toilet has to be dark and closed all the time.

And it's just awkward to have 2 doors back to back if I were to leave BOTH open .. the doors would be open just halfway .. the design was just really plain ol' DUMB. I mean, if they really had no choice, why on earth did the developer NOT just install a folding door for that toilet to begin with ??!!

So somewhere along the way, after a sufficient time had passed by (a few years), I broached the topic again .. cos I didn't argue over the door issue for the whole 10 years ...

The man says NO. A flat no.

What the ...

And now, 10 years have gone by and I'm still living with that stupid door situation. TEN YEARS. I kid you not. My maid has to manouver around a small space with the 2 doors .. to hang clothes up, get at the washer and dryer, get into the store room .. it's just a nuisance having the doors like that.

2 weeks ago, I call up the folks at PD Door, they send their guy over to take measurements and give me a quote and today it's been installed. YES, I have a new swing and slide door !!! Ok, this was taken off of their website and it ISN'T MY door. But this is what it looks like !!



And it may just be a door, but man, once that original toilet door was taken out, and the new pd door installed, the area actually looked more spacious !! Of cos - with one less door naturally the area looks less cluttered!! I am PLEASED with the results. And I love that unlike traditional folding doors which have that UGLY track at the bottom, pd doors DON'T !! So happy with how it turned out!!

Ok, so back to my point here .. men are indeed a strange breed. I know what The Hubby was thinking .. or at least I think I do. He didn't want to waste money changing out the door (when we first bought our apartment) cos it just seemed like a waste of money. The fact that the door placement was not thought out well was secondary to him. He paid for the apartment (and that included the door) .. so he felt that we might as well use it. Till it's spoilt or we died or moved. Whichever came first. And come on, doors don't get spoilt ! .. How?? Unless it's your front door and you get paint splashed on it by loansharks .. doors are pretty hardy things that almost never need replacing. DAMMIT.

TEN YEARS, TEN WHOLE YEARS. Are u getting a sense of my bitteness here yet??! lol :p

By the way, in case you haven't guessed .. I paid for the stinking new door. LOL. Oh well, it's HIS money anyway. I'm just so happy with how it turned out, I told my maid if I really ran out of money, we're all eating plain old rice and fried anchovies for dinner.

HUH. I'll be happily sitting in my teeny toilet staring at my new door !!

No comments: