Monday, December 1, 2008

So .. I've POPPED !!!

On Saturday, I was pretty bummed cos hubby said we had to stay home that day IN CASE. I was all game to go down to Vivocity to see the Christmas decorations there .. I hear it's very nice .. !! Anyway, admittedly, like I mentioned earlier ... Vivocity is quite a distance away from KKH so I had to reluctantly agree to stay home that day ...

SIGH.

Nearly died of boredom. When night came around, I suddenly had a bout of dizziness and breathlessness and nausea. Checked my BP with my trusty electronic BP Monitor and true enough, my BP was rather high ... I really really didn't want to go in because of that, so I went to lie down in the hopes that my BP would drop .. it didn't ... Finally, we had to go down to KKH and have it checked out .. I was worried it was pre-eclampsia and decided it was better to be safe than sorry.

At the hospital at about 11pm, I was checked and admitted ... gawd, it was an awful night at the delivery suite .. I was put on all the monitors to check on my baby and myself and a drip ... I couldn't get any sleep AT ALL till about 5am I think. My gynae only came in the next morning .. (Sunday) at about 8am ..

She had my blood tested and all .. and thank goodness it wasn't pre-eclampsia after all .. just a high BP. She decided to let me have my breakfast then said she would induce me since I was going to come in on Tuesday anyway so there was no point waiting. I agreed with her.

At 9am, she broke my waterbag and put me on a drip with medication to help my contractions along. I have to say .. it was a boring few hours with irregular contractions that didn't really hurt all that bad .. They checked me at 11 and baby was till high up and my cervix had not opened.

SIGH.

At 12noon, I was busy sms-ing a pregnant friend and complaining to her that induction was a waste of time for me as nothing was really happening ... dammit. I think I spoke too soon. After that, the nurse came to check on me and asked me to empty my bladder ... I really really tried but the baby was obviously pressing on my bladder so I could not pee at all ... the nurse then used a catheter to drain my bladder ..

The the fun began ...

Well, it wasn't exactly FUN ... more like .. "ACTION" ..

I started to feel quite intense regular contractions at 12.08, 12.09, 12.11 then at 12.14 ..the nurse came to do a VE and I was effaced and about 6cm dilated already!!! My gynae came in at about 12.30pm ... did a check and told me I could start pushin whenever I wanted to ...

WHAT??? So fast? That was my reaction ... !! I was starting to feel really anxious about the actual pushing and felt like backing out .. lol. Of course, I didn't have a choice and started pushin .. I had opted for no epidural or gas mask or any kind of pain relief btw ... *sigh* and had also asked for my gynae to avoid making an episiotomy if possble.

At 1.04, Baby Calista Grace arrived. She weighed 3.61 kg and 52 cm in length ...

I had successfully done it without an epidural or an episiotomy.

YEA!!!

1 comment:

Meekfreek said...

God Bless You Sam and baby Calista Grace too! I can't believe you delivered at 1.04pm and you blogged about it just an hour later! You are the original superwoman! Photos please! And congratulations!