Saturday, September 6, 2008

Finding a Chinese ethnic costume when it's NOT CNY

it's like hunting for a needle in a haystack I swear ... !!

Claudia tells me last week that her choir teacher (yes, she's in the choir) wants them to wear a red Chinese ethnic costume for the upcoming Mid-Autumn performance ..

I felt like cursing ...

Look, we're not Chinese ... OF COURSE, we wouldn't have a Chinese ethnic costume on hand, and IN RED no less ... so of course, it meant WE had to go out and hunt for one.

There I was ... 7 months pregnant, with 3 kids ... toddling around Yishun central valiantly looking for ANY shop selling Chinese outfits 5 months or so AFTER Chinese New Year ...

It was hot and I was tired and I was (and still am) down with the flu .. and of course, we didn't have any luck ...

I knew my last hope was to go to Chinatown ...

sigh

When was the last time any of you went strolling around Chinatown? It's not exactly Orchard ... Coincidentally, one of my friends had gone to People's Park Complex that day to run an errand with her parents so I asked her to just look around that area ... she called me back to tell me that she did not see any such shops in People's Park selling Chinese outfits ..

I was stumped.

No Chinese outfits selling in Chinatown ..

Then what the hell were they selling if not Chinese stuff? Isn't it Chinatown?

Anyway, thankfully, my brother-in-law's wife informed me that there was one place in Chinatown I could try ...

So we rushed down on Friday evening to this buliding next to OG .. it's called .. Yue Hwa Chinese Products at Eu Tong Sen Street ...

And YES, they had Chinese outfits galore ...

Managed to get a nice red cheongsam for Claudia for only $31 and since I was already there, I decided to get one for Lauren at $42 .. I will get them to try them on and take pics soon ..

The blardy teacher better be thankful we trudged all the way there to get the dress ...

2 comments:

Meekfreek said...

I would have thought Chinatown would have plenty of oriental outfits...angmohs love that stuff!

How come Lauren's cost $42! What about Emily? Didn't she get one? You gotta trudge back there girl!

I've got the flu too...feel terrible. Get well soon.

kristalangel said...

YOu get well soon too! I don't forsee myself gettin any better till my maid comes back .. I'm so DYING here ...

I think Claudia's was on some offer ... din get for Emily cos no reason to what .. she doesn't have to wear it unlike the other 2 who do for school events etc.

I really thought it would be easy to get those outfits anywhere in Chinatown but apparently not .. or I was just not looking in the right place? - Thought for sure People's Park owuld have ONE store selling them ...

Thank goodness for this Yue Hwa store ...