Sunday, January 31, 2010

The heat here is debilitating!!

I think I move like a sloth here ... the heat just drains you of all your energy and it's so super bright in the day, it's so awful. I am always closing my curtains and grumbling .. my hubby has of course joked that I am like a vampire preferring the house to be what he calls "dark as a cave" as opposed to being flooded with sunshine.

HUH. Flooded with sunshine? .. You gotta be kidding me .. it's so bright it's like the sun is IN MY HALL. It's HORRIBLE. I hate having the curtains and windows thrown open in the afternoons. Cos it's HOT and HUMID.

How hot is it ..? Well, it's about 90 degrees fahrenheit and the relative humidity is between 55-95 %. Well, it's like Florida .. EXCEPT that it's like this ALL YEAR ROUND. It's blardy awful. I've lived here ALL MY LIFE and I can't take it. I remember on our first roadtrip to Florida to Disney World ... as our vehicle got into the area and we stopped for gas .. the minute I stepped outta of the car, it was like coming home ... *shudder* But still it was different cos in the evenings, the weather there cools down considerably ... in Singapore, IT DOESN'T. EVER. It can be 7 in the evening, and it'd be still hot and humid .. just no direct sunlight that's all.

The 2 years we spent away from Singapore in Clovis, NM were the most glorious times for us .. I love living in the States partly cos of the 4 seasons. It's such a nice change from just wilting in the heat and humidity ALL THE TIME. I spent time outdoors with my girl doing GARDENING. And taking the dog for a walk. We visited parks and I wouldn't COMPLAIN how hot it was cos it was springtime. Even when we were in Pheonix during the summer .. yes that was HOT .. u could see those wavy lines as u drove down the street .. but it was still bearable cos it wasn't HUMID. Hot yes, but you weren't sticky. Here, your skin is forever like fly paper. And your face is OILY ... really very uncomfortable. I make it a point to only visit our zoo in the early mornin before it gets really hot. I remember in the States, we were in New Orleans once .. and we took the chance to visit the Zoo there - The Audubon Nature Institute - AWESOME place. The weather was nice and dry .. so the zoo was practically ODOURLESS. I kid u not. We were at the elephant enclosure and I remember seeing heaps on dung .. and I couldn't really smell it. That is not the case in the Singapore Zoo. Everytime I go, I complain to my maid that we're there to smell the animals and their POOP. UGH.

I wish it would snow here. I really do. JUST ONCE. PLEASE.

3 comments:

Pursueing Happiness said...

Think about relocating! make sure you bring the maid! I want one of thoes! Lucky girl. I will trade you our 20 degree weather for your maid, deal?

kristalangel said...

lol! ok, I admit - there is no way on this planet I'd give up my maid. The only reason I can get up at 10 in the mornin is cos my maid gets my 2 middle girls ready for school. Or else none of them would get bathed and fed and changed if they had to wait for me. :p

Meekfreek said...

One good thing about the humidity is that it keeps you looking young (and oily) for longer. When i look at my friends in Australia I'm rather pleased with our humid weather.