Sunday, January 10, 2010

Driving Mr Stanley ....

ain't no picnic I can tell you. Uncle comments on and attempts to correct what he views as "bad driving" ... the whole time he's sitting in the car with me.

sigh.

I was COMPLAINING to my maid that it's not like I JUST passed my driving test. I passed my test in Dec 1998 .. that's like 11 years ago. And out of that 11 years, I have been driving almost EVERYDAY since 2002.

That's like freaking 7 years. And the man still thinks he needs to instruct me. And correct me. And criticize my driving. And comment that the way I take a turn etc I am damaging this part and that part of the car .. WA. LAU. EH.

sigh.

I usually humour the man .. and either agree or just nod my head amiably just so he MOVES ON to another topic. But of course, who am I kidding? ... Cos more often than not, he continues commenting and instructing ALL THE WAY TILL WE REACH OUR DESTINATION.

Before these last few days ... I would insist he drive whenever we go out cos I disliked hearing his comments ... but awhile ago, I started driving off and on with him in the car cos I told him I have a healthy self-esteem and I know I can drive and so I really didn't care about his opinions of my driving skills or lack thereof. lol ! .. I don't get honked at by other drivers, I am not slow and I don't road hog, I have yet to hit another vehicle (touch wood) ... and I haven't gotten a speeding ticket too. And I can drive with the baby crying and the kids chatting and the radio on all at the same time ... if that's not decent driving, then I don't know what is.

Anyway, the man started on his commenting the minute I pulled out of Suntec City carpark. Guess I was at the end of my patience too ... cos I FINALLY got irritated with him and his comments ... and we started arguing in the car. And of course, it ended with me saying .. "You drive when you're at home" ... cos I thought I was doing him a favour cos he wants to relax when he's home on weekends and he hates driving in Singapore ... so I agreed to drive even though he was home this last week so that he could get some rest ... cos I go up and down fetching my girls a number of times in a day ...

But is the man grateful? No. He thinks I am on some extended driving test where he is the instructor .. and he thinks he can go on and on about my "lousy" driving and I'm supposed to take it lying down.

When are they going to invent a car with an "EJECT" button? That's the car I want. lol !!

3 comments:

Meekfreek said...

I actually think there is no solution to this problem except to put them in the back with the kids so they have to entertain them leaving them no time to comment on our driving!

kristalangel said...

The man, unfortunately, can multitask pretty well. He IS sitting in the middle row with Calista. Claudia is in the front with me. The man can scold Lauren and Emily in the back row, entertain Calista .. and then continue "commenting" on my driving.

*sigh*

Meekfreek said...

Wow, he's talented!