Sunday, November 4, 2012

First to die during wartime ...

The Hubby declared that to me. He was referring to me of course. not himself. Haha.

I will be the first to die in a war, or if stranded on a deserted island, or in zombie apocalypse. I swear.

Why? Because I NEED all the things that come with day to day living today. Running water, electricity, my car, the Internet .. My iPhone.

We had a situation in our condo last weekend. Some blocks including mine were without running water for 2 whole bloody days. It was a nightmare. No running water meant no hot showers. And no flushing toilets. My immediate response was to abandon our home and live out of a hotel suite till the problem was rectified. The problem being a burst underground pipe running under our block.

But of course, there was no way The Hubby was going to spring for 2 nights at Marina Bay Sands so I sped to the nearest hardware store and bought 4 ginormous pails for hauling water - the condo management had arranged for water points to be set up at various spots in the condo. And lucky for us, we had one right at our lift lobby.

Of course, big ass pails meant that once they were filled to the brim with water, no one could actually lift the pail for any distance at all .. But here's where our trusty Radio Flyer wagon came in damn handy. We have the one that's really hardy made of metal and has a maximum weight limit of 60 kg. It can and did easily hold 2 pails filled with water. Awesome .. No hauling at all except for lifting the pails out of the wagon. Yay! We were the envy of our neighbors. Hahaha.

And we manually filled up the toilet cisterns so we could flush. And we boiled hot water for showers. We managed ok. No cooking, no cleaning .. We let the clothes pile up for awhile and thankfully managed to do laundry after the 2 days.

Although we survived the crisis, I hafta to say .. It still sucked to have no running water. Lol. I was just thankful it wasn't electricity. Less baths I can handle .. No air con, I'd just die. Lol.

No comments: