Thursday, June 18, 2009

The pedal bin saga ....

Men are strange. ok, scratch that ... MY man is weird. I (stupidly) mentioned that I wanted to change the bin sitting outside my bedroom to a pedal bin .. I wanted those stainless steel step pedal bins .. ok, why u ask? .. cos it looks nicer than my current PLASTIC bin .. which I have been using for YEARS .. Calista is now very mobile in her walker and without fail, she'll wheel herself to the PINK PLASTIC bin to try and push the swivel lid. The damn lid inevitably clatters to the floor cos it's not tightly fitted .. and lo and behold, the trash is exposed. She can't reach it but of course, it bugs me no end that the cover keeps falling onto the floor so easily. Plus it's just plain UGLY .. dunno why on earth I bought it many years ago .. I think it was because it was cheap and for heaven's sake it was a trash receptacle .. I didn't think it would matter to me WHAT it looked like.

Boy, was I wrong.

I swear I hate the thing. I can't chuck it out just yet .. I need to buy a replacement first. I need a nice, stainless steel pedal bin. I don't care if it costs me $90 .. I want one. At least then, I will finally have a decent looking dustbin to chuck my trash in .. lol.

There is just ONE obstacle standing in my way.

Hubby.

Damn. The minute I told him I was looking for one, uncle took it upon himself to look for one that was CHEAP and good.

Now, I've learnt looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ago, that most cheap things .. well, they aren't good. Decent, maybe ... built to last ... hell, no.

So there we were at Plaza Singapura last weekend hunting for a bin that wasn't expensive but would last.

How futile is that? I have been with the man for almost 18 years so I tried to keep my mouth shut ... we found a bin that I thought was fine. It was from a store in PS that sold bathroom stuff ... the 12 litre one I liked with a matt finish cost only $35. I thought it was CHEAP and wanted to get it there and then. Uncle thought we should look around elsewhere first. Had I been there without him .. I'd have a nice new bin sitting in my corridor NOW. But noooooooo, he wanted to "look around" ... WTH.

So on Monday, while he was at Causeway waiting for Claudia to finish her ballet lesson, he went into Homefix to have a look at the bins they have ...

$89.90.

He smsed me to say .. we're not in a rush .. we can wait until the next time we go PS to get the one we saw.

Where's the knife? .. I feel like slitting my wrists NOW. lol !!!

1 comment:

Goody said...

haha.
homefix stuf is damn overpriced. my husband fall in love with a shopping trolley (long story) which cost freaking $199!! crazy right!
the bin at ps..is it from 'simple human'? their stuff looks good..